Are Your Pets Prepared for Hurricane Season?
June 4, 2014 | Helpful Tips, Pet Travel | 0 comments | Author: Charleston Dog Walker
This month kicks off Hurricane season, and we’ve got our fingers crossed that it passes us by. But it’s always best to be prepared and that includes having an emergency plan for your pets. Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Ensure your pet has identification. If you become separated, a collar with an ID tag, or a microchip can be what reunites you.
- Keep their vaccinations current. If your pet ends up in a shelter for any reason, they’ll stay the healthiest if they are updated for Bordetella, or kennel cough, which passes easily in shelter environments.
- Pack a supply of pet food and water. Not only should you have food and water for your human family on hand, but make sure to have at least a one-week supply of your pet’s food and water for them.
- Don’t forget their medications. It can be difficult to get prescriptions filled in an emergency situation, so make sure to bring them with you.
- Pack an emergency bag. So you don’t have to scramble around at the last minute, pack a bag with all of your emergency things so you can just grab it and go!