10 Dog Training Tips
March 3, 2013 | Training | 0 comments | Author: Charleston Dog Walker
Learning how to train your new dog? Check out this short article for some helpful tips – http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-training/dog-training-tips/.
Here are my favorites:
- Be Consistent
- Whenever you’re training your dog, it’s important to get as many family members involved as possible so everyone’s on the same page
- You Get What You Reinforce – Not Necessarily What You Want
- If your dog exhibits a behavior you don’t like, there is a strong likelihood that it’s something that has been reinforced before. A great example is when your dog brings you a toy and barks to entice you to throw it. You throw the toy. Your dog has just learned that barking gets you to do what he wants. You say “no,” and he barks even more. Heaven forbid you give in and throw the toy now! Why? Because you will have taught him persistence pays off.
- Be Generous With Your Affection
- Most people don’t have a problem being very clear about when they are unhappy with their dogs, but, they often ignore the good stuff. Big mistake! Make sure you give your dog lots of attention when he’s doing the right thing. Let him know when he’s been a good boy. That’s the time to be extra generous with your attention and praise.