June 23, 2016
| Charleston, Helpful Tips, Pet Safety
Did you know that more pets get lost on the 4th of July than any other day of the year? Fireworks can be scary for your furry pal, so it’s important you plan ahead for to make sure they are safe and happy. Here are a few tips:
- Exercise them so they are tired. Take them for a LONG walk, go for a good swim at the James Island County Park, or throw a tennis ball for them to chase at one of the dog parks. The more tired your dog is, the more likely they are to sleep in the evening.
- Make sure they have updated ID tags attached securely to their well-fitted collar. The tags should have your current phone number, address, and name. If they do get lose, this information will be their best chance of getting back to you.
- Don’t take them to see fireworks – leave them at home. You may think that being with you will help keep them calm, but if a dog is fearful of loud noises like fireworks, leave them at home. They will not appreciate being in a crowded area with fireworks going off – it will just make them more anxious and upset.
- Put on some soothing music for them to listen to during the night. If your dog has a certain spot they feel comfortable in (like a bathroom, closet, or their crate), set up the music close to there and turn it up to mask the firework noises. Here’s a great music medley that lasts for over an hour.
- Get them their favorite long-lasting treat to keep them distracted and happy. Try putting peanut butter in a Kong and freezing it. Just make sure they have access to water, too… they might be thirsty afterwards!
Make sure you and your pets stay safe this holiday!
June 9, 2016
| Charleston, Cool Pet Products, Deals and Promotions, Dog-Friendly Charleston, Helpful Tips, SC
Check out our friends at Doody Calls – they’re happy to come de-poop your yard each week! Doody Calls is a great service that has partnered up with Charleston Dog Walker to offer all of our clients a special promotion deal. You will get 2 FREE weeks after your first month of service with them! Doody Calls will help you get a thoroughly clean, safe and pet waste free yard year round without any contracts. Give them a call or visit www.DoodyCalls.com and you’ll have a spotless yard in no time!